Gabriel's Inferno (Gabriel's Inferno, #1) - Sylvain Reynard
Ok, so I have to start this review by saying that there were several major disappointments about Gabriel's Inferno.

Firstly, it is too long. It's not the length itself that is the problem. There are a lot of books that are twice as long as this one, but the length is not a problem when the book is well-paced and has the proper amounts of action, narration, character development, etc. In this case, however, the above-mentioned were not properly portioned, which overall left a very unpleasant feeling in me (to the point that during the last 8% of the book I literally wanted to kill myself).

Secondly, there were too many literary and art references. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but then again not everybody can follow and that can leave you feeling a bit ignorant. On the other hand, the more is not always the merrier; in this case the more references there were, the more bored I got. The same also applies to the use of entire quotations in Italian. I get it, The Divine Comedy is originally written in Italian and you are probably fluent in that language if you are a Dante specialist. But not all of us are either of these. Just think about it, if you are not somewhat familiar with the language, you wouldn't be able to read the respective passages, understand them and appreciate their beauty and the point that they are to make. Even though I got almost everything written in Italian, it still infuriated me so much that I wanted to smash my Kindle against the wall. A big, big turn off...

Additionally, this book was too easily predictable and at times, as a consequence of its predictability, very, very boring.

Finally, I want to say something about the lovebirds: Julia--shy, constantly blushing and lip-biting, immature whining little girl. She is portrayed as the perfect girl, which can never actually work for me. Gabriel--a pretentious prick. Even though I generally like dark characters, the character of Gabriel I did not like. A character full of contradictions that managed to scare the shit out of me at times. And don't even get me started on how boring their relationship actually was. Just....don't.

The beginning sounded promising but the thing is that Gabriel's Inferno went downhill really really fast.