Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Young Victor Frankenstein was fascinated by nature and science; unfortunately, he was also a dickhead who wanted to play God and rule the universe. He went to university and one day he decided that he could use his knowledge and experience to create life by using a rather unconventional method. He started sewing up dead people's body-parts, felt very happy and was nursing his new-found love for his creature, until ultimately he reanimated the patched-up corpse and felt repulsion and hatred. So after seeing his creature's cute animated face for the first time, Victor just goes 'Fuck it, I don't want this in my life' and flees. Unfortunately, what Victor doesn't even realize is that the creature is above all alive, and, as every living thing, is driven by some weird brought-back-to-life survival instinct. Which ultimately leads to a game of cat and mouse, a lot of dead people and misery.

Now, let me start by saying that this novel is not not so horrific on a blood-and-gore level, but it is definitely a psychological horror of how humans lack humanity. Having in mind that this book was written back when science was just a toddler, I think that today's reality, with its sciences evolving every second, is what makes Frankenstein a true horror story. I mean, I can really picture a modern-day Frankenstein doing all sorts of crazy stuff that he doesn't want to take responsibility for in some weird lab hidden under a desert in some super top-secret facility (let's say...)

Even though this novel (although frankly, Frankenstein is more like a longer short story) was written nearly 200 years ago, it tackles a lot of modern-day issues that are even more serious now than back then when they cured everything with penicillin and lobotomy. It raises some very serious questions like what is a human, what is humanity, are people good by nature, are they bad. Victor Frankenstein wanted to create. But did he really? Was he ready for his creation coming to life, did he know how to deal with it? There is this theory, called tabula rasa, that basically says that people are born without any mental content, and that they accumulate knowledge through everything around them and through their experience. Unfortunately Adam, the creature, has no parents to guide him, his daddy fled and left him all alone. So was this humane? Is Victor a human just because he was born and not...a reanimated dead corpse? Does Adam gain humanity through observing the world, educating himself and wanting to form relationship with other beings and be good to them? Or does his new-found hatred for mankind make him a monster?

I think this book is a mandatory read. It's a bit slow because of the language and the language barrier, but, apart from the weird language, it is so applicable in today's reality, it's not even funny. I hope more people, especially young people, read this because this is horror at its finest.